For some people, poring over a book is a way to induce sleep. It is easy to get lost in many lines of boring text that make you more confused. However, acquiring knowledge is very important and reading is one of the ways to learn.
Not everyone likes reading, but it is important for everyone to learn. Learning is essential to our existence and it never ends. Curiosity helps you grow and ask the questions that will help you learn. Then you can apply the knowledge you have acquired in different aspects of your life.
HACKS TO LEARN WITHOUT READING
Reading is not the only method of acquiring knowledge. Find below, a list of hacks to help you learn without stuffing your face into boring books.
- PODCASTS: Podcasts are digital audio files made available on the internet. You can download them to your mobile phone, tablets, laptop and even on your personal computer. Podcasts are usually made as episodes, and the good thing about them is that they enable you to multi-task. You can listen to audio files on various topics as you clean your house, cook or even while taking a shower.
Many people listen to podcasts as research has shown that the number of people who listened to podcasts via cell phone grew by a whooping 157 percent from 2014 to 2018. Podcasts provide an easy way to gain knowledge and they are available on many sites such as Soundcloud, Audioboom, PodBean, Transistor, Buzzsprout, GooglePodcasts, Anchor, HowStuffWorks, e.t.c
Some require a paid subscription but some are free. You can make your choice based on your financial state, preferred language, demography and mode of learning.
- YOUTUBE: YouTube is an American online video-sharing platform that was founded in 2005 by three former PayPal employees. YouTube serves a dual purpose of entertainment and education. People can share videos that help teach others how to do stuff. You can learn anything on YouTube from programming to your courses to how to do makeup.
Recipes and different ways to cook food are available on some YouTube channels. YouTube provides a visual, fun way to learn. You can search for videos on different topics and watch vloggers discuss these topics in simple, less complicated language that makes understanding easier. YouTube is almost free, as the only cost required to watch videos on the platform is a good internet connection. You can download videos when you have access to WiFi or after activating your mobile data subscription.
- AUDIOBOOKS: Audiobooks enable you listen to a book. You can hear a voice that reads out the contents of a book to you. You can listen to books while doing dishes, washing clothes or cooking. Audiobooks provide a fun way to listen and learn. You can download audiobooks on different topics and listen to the content.
Most of the books that were sold as hardcovers have been converted into ebooks and audiobooks, to cater to a wider audience. You can learn about a variety of topics from neuroscience to philosophy to literature from audiobooks. Audiobooks provide a convenient, cheaper and more interesting method of learning. Apps such as GetLibby, Apple Books, Audible, Kobo, e.t.c provide you with audiobooks to help you learn any topic of your choice.
- MOVIES: Watching educative movies is a fun way to learn. If you want to learn about politics, watch political movies. If you want to learn a new language, watching movies in which the language is spoken may help you understand the language better.
Movies could help you understand history better or teach you some new words. Sometimes a life lesson maybe what you need to learn. Movies such as How To Get Away With Murder, The Resident, The Good Doctor, Grey’s Anatomy have been learning platforms for law students and medical students respectively.
- MOBILE APPLICATIONS: There are some mobile applications designed for learning, online and offline. Apps such as Udemy, Khan Academy, Duolingo, Memrise, e.t.c provide a fun, interactive method of learning. You could watch videos explaining concepts and take quizzes that will help determine the extent of your understanding. You could also play learning games and use some apps like Elevate, Lumosity, Happify, Eiditic to improve memory when you find yourself struggling to remember what you have learnt.
In conclusion, learning does not have to be boring. If reading a lot of text makes understanding difficult for you, you can try out these hacks to improve your learning. Always remember that learning never ends and good application of knowledge improves quality of life.